Thursday, November 09, 2006

I read news today, like I do every single day, unless I don't have access to media. Which I do, almost every day. And some days (like today, cause I'm still ill, goddamn-it!!!!) I spent a lot of time online. And because I have a laptop I’m in bed too. Which means that here and there I dose off a bit. ;))


And then I read horrid news about the following: 18-year-old boy was found guilty of sniper shooting (where else but in USA) and was sentenced for life imprisonment. OK fine.

Hang on: he was 17 when he did the crimes and those were: shooting spree in and around Washington DC. The shootings occurred at gas stations and in parking lots outside supermarkets, restaurants, and schools in a rough circular pattern around Washington. The victims were apparently selected at random, crossing racial, gender, and socioeconomic categories. The locations of the attacks always had close freeway access.
Malvo and Muhammad. Happy together? A father figure?

The boy’s name is Lee Boyd Malvo and had a very difficult childhood. Even though the defence tried to prove that the boy was brain-washed by a man called John Allen Muhammad, who was also found guilty and sentenced to death. The boy was looking for a father figure, but was reported to be of a very violent nature anyway.
Arrested Malvo

I was really disturbed by this. A boy of 17 who should be studying his maths and geography went around and killed 10 innocent people. Why? Did he think it was fun? He had nothing better to do that day, so let’s just kill some people? Did he really want $10 million? So would he then stop killing? Did he think that those people don’t deserve to live just because they are not Muslims? He didn’t really know they were not Muslims actually.

He had a hard life growing up, ok. But what is wrong with the society that breads people like this and men the like of Muhammad who take these young boys, give them rifles in the hands and say: here, shoot some people. We’ll have a jolly time. Bonding and all…
Even if he wanted bonding, trusted Muhammad, he could not really believe that killing 10 people and getting $10 million will make a world a better place. Firstly not, because people like these two live. Secondly $10 million does not even come close to begin making a world a better place.

I feel sorry for him, I really do. Perhaps he would have been a great economist, lawyer, artist, perhaps a politician, or just a good average citizen if he grew up in a different environment and came in contact with someone who would stimulate knowledge and goodness in him.

And then what will become of him? He will be in prison for the rest of his life. Becoming more even more violent and a bigger bastard. Will he live to be 30? I’m afraid not…


Poor victims. Doing whatever they were doing, suddenly shot dead on the floor. Had no idea what happened. Had no idea what they had comming. Pax vobiscum!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is wrong with the society that is not able to stop / prevent these kind of excesses in general? I guess you know the film Bowling for Columbine by Michael Moore that tries to find out the reasons for the massacre at the Columbine High School and, at the same time, reasons for other violent crimes with guns in the US. It made me think a lot…

Anonymous said...

A great movie, I agree.