Friday, November 03, 2006


A certain experience from a few days ago made me think about a saying: behind every successful man there is a successful woman.

What made me think that? A very important woman in my life, Milady to be precise, took matters into her own hands and started doing things I was only talking about for ages. She made the whole plan of attack, drew deadlines, gave tasks to every one of us. Hurrah! I was just talking about it…

We need to realize that the more successful the man is, more successful the woman is also. He gets a promotion, she goes with him. And to be honest, the other way around to. But the trick is that they also bear almost no responsibilities. Fair enough.

And sometimes the women do take things completely into their hands. They become bosses. And my question is: why do they always have to dress like men? Jackets, trousers, some even wear ties. Why can they not be feminine? Do they think that they have to imitate men in order to appear authoritative? I don’t think so. It’s all in a personality. It’s all in self confidence, being certain we can do it.

I remember when I was young I loved seeing woman in charge of men. There was almost an erotic attraction to women in charge. Being all bossy and giving orders to men. Strange, since I knew I was gay already at the time, but there was still some fascination in seeing a successful woman. Perhaps also because it was such a rare sight... who knows?
I love this saying: There’s a difference between knowing the path and walking the path!

Stop thinking and start doing it. In order to know your dreams you have to wake up!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think some successful women tend to dress more feminine these days.
Women who dress ''like men'', as you described it before, usually turn out to be sensitive and tender when they take off their powerful clothes.
But on the other hand, women who dress more feminine usually have that inner strength that helps them reach any goal wanted. They don't look agressive because they have no need to point out their abilities.
Women who appear stong and powerful usually are not. Their look is their protection. They need it to feel strong, to feel they are worth it. If they had enough self-confidence, they wouldn't need to dress like men. IMO.

ambala said...

What i think is that if a woman is dressed very feminine it is often percieved as seductive and has therefore a negative connotation - of someone who would use he female charms to promote her goals: famme fatale.
The world is still very sexist. And business even more so. Can you imagine a female executive comming to close a deal with muslim partners... On the other hand, nowadays? Perhaps even...

Anonymous said...

I KNEW you were secretly erotically attracted to me... Is that why you never do any work? To get me to kick your arse? Then you can secretly find it sexy in the rehearsals? Anyway, thank you for the very nice comments in this one and the other one, I just read it. This post is rather 90s though isn't it? There are still issues of glass ceilings to be broken through but I think the emphasis moves further and further away from dress. Business dressing is a uniform, like in nearly all kinds of work. To conform with the the uniform already in place can also be seen very much as making an anti-statement now that we have moved on from the initial days of power dressing. It would be more of a statment to waft in to a business meeting wearing a cloud of chiffon and fuschia velvet than to wear something smart but uninteresting. This also goes for men! After all, how often do we judge the 'joker' on the comedy value of the awful tie he wears that clashes with his shirt? Discretion in clothing is perhaps more the key now - take me for my participation rather than my presentation. As long as it is smart enough not to draw too much attention, it's all good...

But remind me to wear shoulder padded suits and 6 inch patent leather heels for my next work appearance. Then you can be REALLY erotically attracted. x.

Anonymous said...

p.s. it's bollocks that jackets and trousers are specifically men's clothes these days. Although I love skirts as much as the next girl or RuPaul, sometimes they are just much more damn practical. It ain't anything to do with penis envy, believe me!

p.p.s are you saying that when you get promoted you'll be taking me with you?! ;-) sweet, then I can be a kept woman and wear skirts all week long...