Sunday, December 03, 2006


I love winter! I think it's one of my favourite seasons if not THE favourite. I just love it when the weather becomes colder and bitter. Of course there are also things I don't like about winter, but there are things I don't like in any of the seasons.

I remember the days when we went to Krvavec, where my family owns a house. We would escape the foggy vale and lift over the white milky veil into the realm of the sun and glistening snow. The realm of the untouchable mountain peaks, wide views and infinite horizons. The cold was incredible and you could feel it in the nostrils. The coldness would sting a bit. And the nose would become red in a matter of seconds. And then the most obvious proof of the monstrous coldness: the creaking of the snow under your boots. The colder it would be – more creaky the sound under the shoes. I absolutely adore that feeling. It’s a dry coldness and does not hurt as much as the horrid humid and muggy cold of the cities.

I always wondered what is it that makes the image of winter so special. The colours are different the images of the places you know are changed.
It was only in the last week that I realized: the sun is so much lower on the vault. Compared to the summer the light comes on a much more direct was and under a bigger angle. The shadows become much longer and the vision a bit more curtained. It gives the nature an intriguing sense of mysteriousness and attraction.

I miss snow. I miss the terrible cold. I miss going to Krvavec with Cmoko, coming to the house, where there’s -5 degrees. We have to light the fire and unpack. To make the things warmer very fast we would have sex or just cuddle for a long time. Then eat and watch TV for a long time. Sleep a bit as well. Funny how clean winter mountain air makes you sleepy and tired at first. I would go skiing the next day, Cmoko does not ski. And he would cook…

I miss my Slovenia. I must stop thinking about past. Must realize that all I ever wanted is here by my side. Which makes me happy. Nostalgia is a dangerous bad habit. December does this to me…

3 comments:

Lolita said...

I think december does that to all of us... And in a way, I actually like it. :)

ambala said...

Sure. The problem becomes when we get to enraptured by the whole thing and don't even notice that we have changed. And after the new year's eve, all is back to normal...

Anonymous said...

depends on memories... i prefer now :)))